We at Magter are really offended by what happened in Bangalore lately. and thought we should spread some awareness about women self-defense.
Before we start, what most women think is they will not be in a situation where they would need any self-defense. Well YOU ARE WRONG, this can happen to anyone and we need to be prepared.
Every woman should follow these following steps to ensure personal safety:
- Self Defense Training: here are few pointers to keep in mind. When we say self-defense it does not mean joining martial arts class unless you really want to. The self-defense class should provide simulated training with fully padded instructor to practice what you learnt.
- Be aware of Surrounding: Attackers usually use the element of surprise to overpower his victim. Be aware of your surrounding and use it against the attackers.
- Let the Gut feeling take over: Use your intuitions and be aware of what is going on. We all have this gift of 6th sense, especially women. Use it to your advantage to avoid and suspicious situation, place or person.
- Run for it: It is better to resist and run than obey the attacker because he is intimidating. The whole reason an attacker would ask you to get inside a car or ask you to go inside a dark alley is because he wants to avoid crowded location. Run when you have chance and start yelling when you are at it. It is very likely that you can avoid rape or even death by doing so.
- Fight back. In case the attacker corners you, you need to fight back. It is your moral and legal right to do so. Most of the women don’t strike back thinking that the attacker will get angrier. Statistically you have way higher chance of surviving if you fight when compared to embracing your fate.
- Pepper Spray: This is one of the very handy tools which you can carry around but cannot depend on it completely. You might waste a valuable time searching for it attacker will be alert of your intentions. It is always better to use your body and surrounding against your attacker.
- Driving tips: Carjacking is another situation which is quite common. This happens mostly in deserted intersections where you slow down your car or come to complete stop. Always lock your doors and close the windows while driving to avoid any such situation.
- Travel safe: Most of the violent crimes happen in worst and best hotels. The attacker can be a staff or an employee of the hotel. For safety do not open doors to strangers and always carry door wedge when you are travelling. A door wedge is often stronger than the door itself.
- Online Safety: Although the internet is not a physical place but it can be equally dangerous. Please use nicknames while communicating on internet and do not give out personal details like home address and phone numbers. Advice your family to do the same as well.
- Party responsibly: Always know your limits and move around with a trust worthy group. Spiking girl’s drinks is new favorite of these attackers. Please be aware what you eat and drink. At the party.
Let us not play the blame game here, Bengaluru has always been a safest place for women and people of Karnataka have always welcome others with open hearts, But at the same time we have to understand that the City has grown and all kinds of people stay here. Rather than playing the blame game we would end saying “It’s safe to be sorry”