Daring, tough and fiercely talented, Virat Kohli broke over 40 cricket records in 2016 across all formats. He has emerged as one of the pack-leading faces of Indian cricket’s current generation
Even before the year started, Kohli was labelled as a run-machine and rated as one of the best batsman in the world, we should say that he kept up to his expectation even in the year 2016. He became the only player to average 50+ in each of the three formats, besides being the highest run-getter across formats in 2016.
Let’s have a quick look at the numbers. Virat Kohli has played 36 international matches in 2016 and scored 2580 runs from 40 innings. That is at an average of 88.96 with seven centuries during this period and 13 half centuries. He’s bagged 8 man of the match honors and two man of the series in this period.
Few records broken by Kohli in 2016 are
- Fastest to reach 25 ODI tons.
- Fastest to score 7,500 ODI runs.
- Only player to score 500+ runs in all the formats.
- EqualsSachin Tendulkar’s (14) record of most hundreds in successful run chases
- Most runs in IPL in a single season
- Most hundreds in IPL in a year
- Only Indian Test captain to score two double hundred.
- First Indian caption to register 9 test wins in a calendar year.
- First indian captain to register 5 successive test series win.
- Most Runs in an over (30)
- Most sixes in IPL 9.
Virat Kohli Stats in 2016:
|IPL – 2016||16||973||81.08||113||4||7|
|IPL – Overall||139||4110||38.05||113||4||26|
Kohli popularly known as having a blend of Dravid’s intensity, Sehwag’s audacity and Sachin’s intelligent style of batting, Kohli is one of the greatest captains the Indian team ever had. Whatever Virat Kohli has touched last year has turned into gold and we hope to see many more years like this from him.